Thursday 8 December 2011

Hot soup for you...

Today's cold weather inspired me to cook some hot homemade vegetable soup. I never really follow a recipe of any sort, but always look into my fridge to see whats there. I call it "everything in the fridge soup". After checking the fridge I check my pantry for dried goods like rice, peas, beans, lentils, and decide what will go best for what I have picked out from the vegetables.

After gathering all my ingredients, I start making my stock, which is sauteing onions/leeks, carrots, and celery in a cast iron pot. Then I fill the pot with water and throw in all my chopped up vegetables with some dry rice and bring it to boil.Then I turn the stove down to a simmer for approximately 30 min.  The last step today was to throw in 1/2 bag of frozen peas and cook for another 15minutes. ( I usually use the last 15 min for any frozen vegetables that I am using). Don't forget to season with salt, pepper, and any other of your favorite seasonings


I love making these soups because they are always low calorie, high in fiber, filling and an easy way of getting vegetables in for me and my whole family!  Perfect for people counting calories and trying to lose weight.



Hint: If soup turns out to bland or needs more "kick"  try adding a drop of some hot sauce, a teaspoon of sour cream,  or sprinkle some Parmesan cheese. 

No comments:

Post a Comment